Thursday, October 6, 2011

Banana Pumpkin Bran Muffins



During fall I tend to go a little pumpkin crazy. If I find a recipe that has pumpkin in it, I will make it! I had two over-ripe bananas that I knew I needed to make some kind of baked good with. After a lot of browsing through different recipes, I realized I really wanted to make some muffins. However, I didn't want them to be loaded with calories and fat, as most muffins are. I wasn't sure how bananas and pumpkin puree would fare together, but I decided to experiment and create my own muffin recipe. Much to my surprise, they turned out so moist, delicious, and of course, healthy!


Recipe for 12 muffins:


Ingredients:
1/2 C  Brown Sugar
1/2 C  Whole Wheat Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 C  Wheat Bran
1 C      Oats (Processed in a food processor until very fine)
2 t       Baking Powder
1/2 t   Baking Soda
1/2 t   Salt
1 t       Cinnamon 
2         Very Ripe Mashed Bananas
1/2 C  Pumpkin Puree 
1/4 C  Unsweetened apple sauce 
1          Whole Egg
2          Egg Whites 


Instructions: 
1. Combine all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
2. Combine egg, egg whites, mashed banana, pumpkin, and apple sauce in a separate bowl.
2. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined. Do not over mix.
3. Spoon mixture into greased muffin pan.
4. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 



Nutrition Facts: 
Serving Size-One Muffin
110 Calories, 1g of fat, 23 g carbs, 3g protein, 3g fiber



No comments:

Post a Comment